Phoenix is an elite TOPGUN graduate selected to return and train as a candidate for a secret mission to destroy a uranium enrichment facility.
During basic fighter maneuver (BFM) training, Phoenix and Bob were teamed with LT Jake "Hangman" Seresin to challenge against CAPT Pete "Maverick" Mitchell to see who could shoot the other down first. Hangman chose to abandon Phoenix and Bob, attempting to use them as bait. While this allowed Hangman to get behind Maverick, the instructor quickly "killed" Phoenix and Bob, and then turned the tables on Hangman and "killed" him as well. As a result, all three were forced to do two hundred pushups (the agreed upon amount set by LT Reuben "Payback" Fitch); the fulfillment of this lost bet was overseen by WO-1 Bernie "Hondo" Coleman, who stood-in as an impromptu drill instructor.
After one of the practice strike sessions, Phoenix's F/A-18F suffered a bird strike, causing a left engine fire and right engine overheat. Despite her efforts to extinguish the fires, the engines could not be restarted and hydraulics soon failed, forcing her and Bob to eject. Both recovered.
At the end of the training period, Phoenix and Bob were selected by Maverick and paired with him. They successfully complete the mission and return to the carrier to celebrate with other mission group members and flight deck crew.
In order of precedence:
|Air Medal - One 5⁄16 inch bronze Strike/Flight Numeral "2" device denotes two Strike/Flight awards.||Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal - Two 5⁄16 inch gold star devices denote third award.||Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal - Two 5⁄16 inch gold star devices denote third award.|
|National Defense Service Medal||Afghanistan Campaign Medal||Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal||Sea Service Deployment Ribbon - Two 3⁄16 inch bronze star devices denote third award.||NATO Medal|
- Prior to the special mission, Phoenix was assigned/attached to strike fighter squadron VFA-41 Black Aces.
- Based on their interactions, Phoenix and LT Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw are presumably good friends, and later with LT Robert "Bob" Floyd.
- Phoenix initially expresses a distrust for LT Jake "Hangman" Seresin due to his arrogance and willingness to abandon his wingmen, but later she gave him hug, after he is the one who completed the mission and saved Maverick and Rooster's life, seems to accept each other.
- Phoenix and Bob's fighter jet is an F/A-18F; Modex #300.
- During selection trials, Phoenix and Bob are part of 'Blue Team' with LT Javy "Coyote" Machado.
- While in Dagger Squadron during the special mission, Phoenix and Bob are assigned aircraft callsign 'Dagger-02'; F/A-18F modex #02.